Saturday, March 24, 2012

Know "What to Change"


When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed
of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser I realized the
world would not change. 
So I decided to shorten my sights somewhat and change only my country.
But it too seemed immovable.
As I entered my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I sought to change
only my family, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it.
And now here I lie on my deathbed and realize herein (perhaps for the first time)
that if only I’d change myself first, then by example I may have influenced my
family and with their encouragement and support I may have bettered my country,
and who knows, I may have changed the world.
                                                    --  An Anglican Bishop

You have control over three things – what you think, what you say, and how you behave. To make a change in your life, you must recognize that these gifts are the most powerful tools you possess in shaping the form of your life. So choose how you want to respond to situations instead of automatically reacting to them.

"If you don’t like something change it; if you can’t change it, change the way you think about it."

The "Serenity Prayer" of theologian Rheinhold Niebuhr, adopted by Alcoholics Anonymous, reflects this so well:
  • God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
  • courage to change the things I can;
  • and the wisdom to know the difference-
  • living one day at a time;
  • enjoying one moment at a time;
  • accepting hardships as the pathway to peace.
Letting go and accepting what is happening does not have to mean "quitting" or "giving up". Let Go Let God means allowing a "space" to occur - a space which can become a crucible of creativity. Letting go opens the door to working in harmony with what is inevitable, rather than using our energy to fight against what is inevitable. As we let go of our willful need to change the world, we come into our power to transform ourselves, or at least to try a different approach or attitude.
Like all human behavior, "Letting go" has to be kept in balance. If we take it too literally or do it too often (I call this "spiritual dependency") we may be asking for trouble - surely we are required to take some responsibility for our own life! In The Bible, the prophet Jesus was tempted by the devil to throw himself from a high place and trust that God would rescue him - Jesus wisely refused to abuse the divine power of caring and compassion in this selfish and lazy way.

No comments:

Post a Comment